Sunday, July 8, 2012

Brgy. Cadaratan A Wimax Dead Zone? An Aerial Survery Proves It

I've been quite cynical about an area which I believe is fully covered by Globe Wimax in Bacarra, Ilocos Norte. The barangay in question is Brgy. Cadaratan. This barangay is located along the Philippine National Highway and is largely surrounded by farmlands. No apparent obstruction can be immediately noticed in this area.

Brgy. Cadaratan is one of my regular market routes and have had successful Wimax Installations until an applicant who's house is located in this what they call a dead zone. To my surprise, full attenuation! Not even a slight indication that a signal could be detected in this zone. It left me wondering why until I consulted Google Maps and here's what I've found.


RF Signal Abberant to Cadaratan

 The hill located between Barangay Cabusligan (Sitio Bangsirit) and Pasngal can be hardly qualified as an aberrant to my estimates. The hill seems really low profile to consider it a blockage between the node which is located south of of the Pasngal Hill and Brgy. Cadaratan to the North. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the hill is really a low profile one however, it is covered with towering trees with thick leaves that really blankets Microwave signals from the node.

The Hill Taken from the Highway
This image is taken from the highway near Barangay Cadaratan. Those towering trees stands at around 72 feet from the ground. Houses below the trees are dwarfed by the trees on top of the hill. Looking at the tiny houses below the hill convinced me that it is indeed a "dead zone" beyond the hill.


No comments:

Post a Comment