Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Weak Signal Related to Wimax CPE BM622 RF Cable Connector

Last night a friend asked me to test her area to determine if she could apply for a Globe Wimax Broadband. She uses a competitor broadband internet provider and she claims she is no longer happy with it.

Hesitant I am because when I consulted the Gems Map (Coverage Area Map) it's very clear that her area is no longer covered. So I told her, no coverage but she insisted. So I took my BM622 Wimax modem and a spare antenna for testing purposes and proceeded to their place and with a very confident tone I told her "you will be satisfied tonight that your area is not covered".


SMA to CRC9 Connector for Globe Wimax BM622 Modem
 With the antenna properly fit to the mast, her husband went on the roof to find a good signal spot. It took us about 1 hour looking but to no avail. So she was convinced, almost. She was so determined, so she tightened the SMA to CRC9 connectors and tested again. Alas! 1 bar and another bar making it two bars and the reading was so good!

BM622i 
BM622 


If she did not tightened and properly attached the connector then I could have won! But I lost. This situation reminded me of how inaccurate the GEMS map given to us by Globe Telecom as a reference tool to determine areas of availability.


She was so happy, so she signed up today and tomorrow her Globe Wimax will be up and running. But thanks to her persistence, I have a sale and a lesson learned. A properly fit connector somehow improves signal and stability of internet access. So tighten your BM622 and BM622i connector but be gentle with the CRC9 during insertion, don't push it too hard it may break the connector inside the modem.

1 comment: